Thursday, March 22, 2012

Using A Circular Polarizer

Ok so it's been about a week since my last post. I had some free time the other day and of course I hit up the photography. I recently bought a circular polarizer from Best Buy and I was just itching to try it out. I think it safe to say I need a little more practice with it first.

I immediately noticed my pictures were coming out a little bit darker, but the color was a little more vibrant. The basis of a CP is essentially the same as a pair of sunglasses. It lessens the effect of the sun and brings in the color of the surrounding area. Giving you better color and less blown out highlights. The only problem I had with it was that some of the images had an added darker tint.

For this shoot I actually did a little urban exploration. I heard about this specific site from a friend of mine who'd done some skating here. The site was actually the floor layout of a mall that used to be in my area. The sad thing is I remembered going into that mall when I was a kid. I couldn't believe that there were still tiles and steps from the old building. It's actually really hard to notice from the street and if my friend hadn't told me it was still there I wouldn't have known.


Unfortunately there wasn't much worth photographing there. I find that with most of my shoots I try to make each shot as interesting as possible. Instead of just standing there clicking away. I was really excited that I found such a place and was interested for more. I took a drive to a few other abandoned buildings but I didn't have much luck with any of them because they were either locked or gated off. 
But I did stumble upon a group of stray cats outside an old grocery store. Apparently someone has been feeding them. I thought about getting close and taking a few shots of them but I didn't want to get attacked by a pack of wild cats. Plus they looked kind of diseased. : /
Poor cats.

On the brighter side of things I did meet some young skaters at the mall; they thought it was cool what I was doing and we even discussed shooting a video there. I think it would make a good filming location for a video. The only downside is the large NO TRESPASSING sign that I didn't notice until I was leaving. Oh well


P.S. Check back every Thursday for a new post.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment